Preparation / Directions:
1. Soak Beans overnight in enough water to cover.
3. Place Beans, 6 cups of water, broth mix, and pepper in large pot and cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
4. Meanwhile, cook the leek, carrot, and onion in about 2 cups of water until tender, about 30 minutes.
5. When beans are done, remove 2 cups of beans in liquid and process in a blender or food processor until smooth.
6. Return to soup pot.
7. Place cooked veggies and water in the blender or processor and process until smooth.
8. Add to the beans and mix well.
9. Stir in the cilantro and orange zest just before serving.
Variations: Cook 1 peeled and chopped potato with the beans and/or puree all of the bean mixture for a thicker soup.
Recipe taken from THE NEW McDOUGALL COOKBOOK, by John A. McDougall, M.D. and Mary McDougall.