Preparation / Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350. In large mixer bowl combine sugar and butter. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Add applesauce, egg and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
2. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). By hand, stir in raisins and walnuts.
3. Pour into greased 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan. Bake for 24 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan melt butter; stir in brown sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil (3 to 5 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
5. Beat, with wire whisk, gradually adding powdered sugar until mixture is smooth (2 to 3 minutes). Frost cooled bars immediately; cut into bars.
TIP: It is important to work quickly when frosting the bars; if frosting becomes too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.