Preparation / Directions:
VARIATIONS: Thai Barbeque Pork: Substitute fish sauce for soy sauce, and lime juice for sherry. Increase gingerroot to 1 T. Substitute 1 T chopped fresh coriander for five-spice powder.
Szechuan Barbequed Pork: Substitute 1 t Chinese chili paste for five-spice powder. Add 1 green onion, chopped.
1. Trim any fat off tenderloin; tuck ends under and tie each with kitchen string. Place in a shallow glass dish.
2. Marinade: Whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, black bean sauce, gingerroot, sugar, garlic, sesame oil and five-spice powder.
3. Pour marinade over tenderloins and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours; turn occasionally. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temp before cooking.
4. Place tenderloins on rack in roasting pan, reserving marinade. Pour 1 cup water into pan. Bake, basting generously four times, in a 375F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted at 20 degree angle registers 160F and meat still has a hint of pink.
5. Remove to cutting board, and tent with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Remove string. Using sharp knife, slice pork diagonally into thin slices.