Preparation / Directions:
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Flatten each shrimp with the broad side of a cleaver to make chopping easier. Use cleaver to finely chop shrimp and pork fat.
2. Combine chopped pork fat and shrimp; chop to a fine paste. Place shrimp paste in a medium bowl.
3. Use a spoon or your hands to mix shrimp paste with egg white, wine, salt, ginger root and cornstarch; set aside.
4. Remove crusts from bread. Cut each slice into 4 squares. Mound 1 rounded teaspoon shrimp paste on each square of bread and press gently. Garnish with sesame seeds and minced ham, if desired.
5. Heat 6 cups oil in a wok over high to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Reduce heat to medium. Carefully lower bread squares shrimp-side down into hot oil with a slotted metal spoon.
6. Deep-fry 4 or 5 at a time until edges of bread turn golden, about 1 minute. Turn each bread and cook other side 30 seconds. Remove from oil with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining bread squares.
7. Serve hot. Sprinkle with Peppersalt, if desired.
Peppersalt 1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat 1 minute. Add peppercorns and stir-fry 5 minutes.
2. Remove saucepan from heat and let cool. Grind peppercorns into a fine powder with a mortar and pestle or pepper grinder.
3. Add salt; mix well. Store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1/4 cup.