Preparation / Directions:
1. In a 12 inch heavy skillet cook onion in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
2. Stir in mushrooms and green peppers and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until mushroom liquid evaporates and mixture begins to brown.
3. Add ham and sherry and cook stirring until liquid is evaporated.
4. In a bowl stir together mushroom mixture, parsley, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste and cool, uncovered. Preheat oven to 400F.
5. On a lightly floured surface roll out 1 pastry sheet into a 14 X 10 inch rectangle. Halve the rectangle lengthwise with a long sharp knife and spread about half of the mushroom filling on 1 half, leave a 1 inch border all around.
6. Brush edges of mushroom-topped pastry with some egg wash and put remaining pastry on top of the filling. Crimp edges of dough together with fork tines and cut several slits in empanada with a small sharp knife.
7. Carefully transfer empanada with 2 spatulas to a large baking sheet, leaving room for the second empanada and brush with remaining egg wash. Make another empanada in same madder with remaining pastry, filling and egg wash.
8. Put empanadas in middle of oven and reduce temperature to 375F. Bake until golden about 35 minutes. With a serrated knife cut empanadas into 3/4 inch slices.
Notes: Empanadas may be made 1 day ahead, cooled completely on rack and chilled wrapped in foil. Reheat uncovered on a baking sheet in a preheated 375F oven until hot about 6 minutes.