Preparation / Directions:
* about 1 pound; try Spanish Sweets
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-cup round baking dish with
nonstick cooking spray.
2. Trim root end of onion so that it stands upright. Slice off 1/2"
from top and remove peel. With sharp knife, cut triangular slices to
center of onion, slicing from top down and stopping 1/2" from bottom,
working your way around onion to make several "petals." Place upright
in microwave-safe, covered dish and drizzle evenly with oil; cover
and microwave on High 1-1/2 - 2 minutes, until onion is slightly
tender and petals have begun to separate.
3. In small bowl, combine cornflake crumbs, pepper and salt; set aside.
4. In medium bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Dip cooked onion
into beaten white, coating petals thoroughly. Place in prepared
baking dish and sprinkle evenly with cornflake crumb mixture. Bake
until lightly browned and crisp, 10-12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, to prepare dip, in small bowl, combine sour cream,
mayonnaise, horseradish and garlic. (May be prepared up to 2 days
ahead; cover and chill.)
6. Serve cooked onion immediately, with dip on the side.
Nutritional info: 1/8 onion + 1 tablespoon dip: 48 cal, 2 g pro, 7
g car, 1 g fat (0 g sat), 43 mg sod, 0 mg chol, 1 g fib.
I wouldn't mind calling this eight servings if it were understood
that I get to eat at least four serving