Preparation / Directions:
1. In a large sauté‚ pan over moderately high heat, heat the oil until rippling; add the onions, garlic, salt (optional), and pepper and sauté‚ stirring frequently until onions are just golden.
2. Add the meat and cook, stirring until it loses its red color.
3. Stir in the tomatoes, jalapenos, orange zest, raisins, and the spices. Simmer, uncovered 20-30 minutes.
4. Ten minutes before serving, mix in the apples, beans, and capers, stir and simmer over low heat so that apples do not become mushy.
5. Transfer to deep serving bowl or covered dish and serve with rice.
Makes 6-8 servings.
SOURCE: The Brilliant Bean Cookbook.