Preparation / Directions:
Up north, oranges are a delectable winter crop. Oranges are also used in sweets, salads, cakes, souffles and even raitas.
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
1. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
2. Beat in orange juice, rind and vanilla essence.
3. Mix flour and cardamom powder, and stir into the batter.
4. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Stir about one- fourth into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
5. Grease a loaf pan and put in the batter. Spread evenly and bake in a moderate oven (160ø C) for 1 1/4 hours or until done.
6. Cool the pan for 15 minutes and then turn out the cake.
7. Slice and serve with orange-flavored custard, if desired.