Preparation / Directions:
A medley of spicy vegetables popular in Gujrat (Western India).
Preparation time: 40 minutes Cooking time: 60 minutes Serves: 6 to 8
1. String the papadi. Do not separate into two.
2. Peel the yam and cut into big pieces.
3. Cut the potatoes and sweet potatoes without peeling.
4. Make slits in the aubergines (brinjals).
5. Mix all the vegetables. Apply the ajwain, chile-ginger paste, soda bi-carb and salt. Mix thoroughly and apply the oil all over.
6. In a small earthen pot (matka), put a few leaves of lettuce at the bottom. Fill with all the vegetables and cover with the balance lettuce leaves.
7. Cover the matka, with an earthen lid and bake in a hot oven at 200 *C (400 *F) for 1 hour.
8. Alternatively, instead of cooking in a matka, wrap the vegetable mixture (without lettuce leaves) in aluminum foil and bake in a hot oven at 200 *C (400 *F) for 1 hour.
9. Serve with green and garlic chutneys and sweet and sour sauce, oil and serve.