Preparation / Directions:
1. Soak the tamarind in a small bowl of water for 10 minutes. Squeeze to extract juice.
2. Vegetables: Whichever vegetables you use, chop them into small pieces. in all, use a cupful of vegetables. Boil until soft and firm.
3. Boil tur gram dal until soft. Mash.
4. Masala: Heat the oil. Add red chillies, pepper seeds, coriander seeds, dry bengal gram dal, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Fry until light brown. Strain. Cool the masala. Grind.
5. Pour the dal into a frying pan. Add the tamarind juice. Heat on a slow flame. add salt to taste, asafoetida and curry leaves.
6. Add masala, sugar and chilli powder. Stir.
7. Add a glass of water, vegetables and cook until you obtain the right consistency.