Preparation / Directions:
Makes 4 sheets (12 x 15 inches each)
1. Scald peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer to cold water with slotted spoon; slip off skins.
2. Slice peaches, discarding pits to get enough fruit to measure 10 cups.
3. Mix peaches and sugar in large saucepan; bring mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil 3 minutes.
4. Pour into blender container; whirl until smooth. Cool to lukewarm.
5. Meanwhile, prepare a smooth, level drying surface in full sunlight.
6. Cover cookie sheets or baking pans with clear plastic wrap; spread puree 1/4 inch thick on prepared surfaces.
7. Let dry outdoors in sunlight. (Drying may take up to 3 days, depending on temperature and humidity.)
8. Bring pans inside at end of day; finish drying the next day. Fruit is dry when puree can easily be peeled off plastic covering.
9. For storing, roll up "leather" in plastic wrap; wrap in more plastic wrap and seal tightly. (Leather will keep at room temperature 1 month, in refrigerator 4 months, or in freezer 1 year.
NOTE: A unique candy treat made from sun-ripened peaches. Drying of partially dried candy may be finished indoors. Set cookie sheets in preheated 140 F. oven 'with door ajar 2 to 6 inches. Leather will be dried in 4 to 5 hour