Old - Fashioned Molasses Taffy (1942)
|Course : Candy
Serves: 1 1/2 pounds
Preparation / Directions:
1. Combine ingredients in a kettle large enough to hold 3 times this amount.
2. Place over high heat and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
3. Cook rapidly lowering heat slightly as mixture thickens and cook until a small amount of syrup forms a hard ball in water (258 degrees).
4. Pour on greased platter or marble slab. As edges cool, turn toward center with spatula.
5. When cool enough to handle, butter hands lightly and pull candy until light in color and too hard to pull further. Stretch out into long rope about 1/2 inch in diameter and cut with scissors. Wrap in waxed paper.
866 Calories (kcal); 23g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); trace Protein; 172g Carbohydrate; 62mg Cholesterol; 293mg Sodium