Preparation / Directions:
1. Combine yeast and 2 cups of the flour in large bowl.
2. Scald milk, combine with sugar, salt and butter in sauce pan until
butter melts (do this in the microwave for about 2 minutes).
3. Add water. Cool slightly. Blend in egg. Pour into flour mixture.
4. Blend until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
5. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough forms that
6. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
7. Stir garlic, onion, parmesan and poppy seeds into melted butter.
8. Cool. Stir down dough and knead 10 minutes, adding additional 1/4 cup
flour, until smooth and elastic.
9. Shape into ball. Let rest 5 minutes. Roll out into 12 by 18 inch
rectangle. Cut into 3 (4" ) wide strips.
10. Spread filling in center of each strip. Fold over from long side, pinch
11. Lift ropes gently onto greased baking sheet. Place 1-inch apart.
12. Braid from center loosely. Pinch ends together, tuck sealed portion
13. Cover and let rise until doubled, 40 minutes.
14. Brush with egg yolk beaten with water. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
15. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on rack.